Click on the link below to get the latest TMRR episode.
On this podcast, we talk about:
The Great Red-taped North
Rocket reusability, this time from India.
And,Bangabandhu-1 is a friend of Bengal.
Intro background music POD Dreams by Stefan Kartenberg (c) copyright 2017 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial (3.0) license. dig.ccmixter.org/files/JeffSpeed68/56307 Ft: Debbizo, Michael Bacich.
India in space
Two men scamming potential investors with “space suits”
Let’s talk a little about that
India is very much interested in space
One launch service provider–ISRO, but Antrix is their commercial interface
ISRO is everything space to India
- They’ve had a few issues
- They also have finished the first phase of NavIC
- Are talking about making reusable rockets
See themselves in competition with SpaceX, not NASA or ULA
Ground systems in Canada
Kongsberg Satellite Services (KSAT) from Norway.
Ground systems are critical for satellites, normally the most expensive part of satellite operations
KSAT and Planet waiting for the Canadian government
- Waiting on license to operate an antenna for over two years (since 2016)
- Location is important because KSAT can access many satellites in this area
- Canadian government says the ground stations must be licensed under its Remote Sensing Space Systems Act
- Like in U.S., the act is old and is very restrictive
Planet is considering pulling its ground station because of the long delay
UK might build its own GPS-type constellation?
Brexit has UK considering whether it might build its own GPS constellation
- the Europeans have been very cautious or vindictive with Galileo
- They removed a backup ground station for Galileo from UK
- Might also not allow data from Galileo into UK hands
Europeans have also been slow and over budget
UK thinks Galileo is a great example of how not to run a program
Question is: Why not?
- They might build it cheaper, and on time
- The UK is trying to build up its own small satellite launch vehicle market anyway
- This might be a good opportunity.
Launch schedule: https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
ISRO news reusable rocket: https://www.indianweb2.com/2018/05/12/indias-isro-to-take-on-spacex-with-its-own-smart-and-reusable-rockets/
KSAT problems with Inuvik:
Planet problems with Inuvik: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/launch-looming-no-license-in-place-1.4178820
How not to build Galileo: https://www.airspacemag.com/space/the-galileo-project-4098287/